The Old Library, Church Street, Ormskirk, c1900.
The sign on the wall reads as follows..... The 'Charity School' was erected in 1724. The Rt. Hon. James Ld. Derby was the first patron to the school.
For a few years from c1842 the Grammar School was conducted here until the new premises in Ruff Lane were built
In 1854 the premises were opened as a Public Library by the Earl of Derby who gave £100 towards the purchase of books.
(Photo courtesy - Ernest Rosbottam Collection / Stuart & Lynne Gray)