Shepherd & Sons

Shepherd and sons, print 9 (1)

Shepherd & Sons Ltd, c1940s. The tool handle factory and sawmills were sited near Burscough Junction Station. Shepherd's made handles for building, agriculture, mining and domestic purposes out of hickory, ash, oak and elm.

The firm was established in 1921 under the name of Bamber & Calder, timber merchants, Burscough Junction. (Photo courtesy - John & Ann Bradshaw).

 

1604449_730029013676151_1429218419_n

Aerial view of Shepherds and Sons Ltd, c1950s.

(Photo courtesy - Angeline Smith).

img336 - Copy - Copy

The first stage of production at Shepherd's and Sons, as Dick Baldwin cuts logs into planks of the required thickness using a circular saw, some saws were up to 5 feet in diameter. (Photo courtesy - Angeline Smith).

 

12047211_10153058498082484_1709785268_n

Ena Birchall outside Shepherd and Sons Saw Mills, c1954.

(Photo courtesy - Shirley Andrews).

12166750_10153059315882484_1182810835_n

Ena Birchall (left) and Hilda Sampson sat in the doorway at Shepherd and Sons, c1954.

(Photo courtesy - Shirley Andrews).

EAW019939.tif

Aerial view of Shepherd and Son's Sawmill, 1948.

EAW019937.tif

42436 leaving Burscough Junction Station and passing Shepherd and Son's Sawmill, 1948.

EAW019940.tif

Aerial view of Shepherd and Son's and the Junction Hotel, 1948

img138

Shepherd and Sons, Mill Lane, c1980s.

(Photo courtesy - John Bradshaw and Ann Bradshaw).

img137

Shepherd and Sons, Mill Lane, c1980s.

(Photo courtesy - John Bradshaw and Ann Bradshaw).