Village & Shops


Burscough Village, early 1900s, looking towards the canal bridge.

The weighbridge on the right is in front of 'O & G Rushton Ltd., Branch No. 30 - Cash Grocers and Bakers,' who also sold 'home cured hams & bacon.' On the left is the Royal Hotel (now the Hop Vine). The buildings still remain, although the front gardens have long since gone, and you can no longer stand idly in the middle of the road.

The two gentleman in the foreground are believed to be Thomas Gibbons (left) and John Forshaw.

(Information from 'Burscough Remembered' by Stan Strickland).


James and Ellen Hunter stood outside their shop on the corner of Lord Street, c1900. (No relation to Luke and Danny Hunter). After James and Ellen Hunter finished with the shop it became Hankins and then Hunters (Luke and Danny). This shop is now Hayes Opticians.

(Photo courtesy - Vernon and Helen Rawsthorne).

Postcard 15 copy 1

What looks like Policemen marching through Burscough Village, early 1900s. The shop on the corner at this point in time is Hankin's Drapery and Hosiery Shop.

(Photo courtesy - John & Margaret Hesketh).

800dpi - Hunters shop (3) copy 1

Hunter's Shop on the corner of Lord Street, c1934. Pictured are Danny Hunter and his father Luke Hunter.

(Photo courtesy - Danny Hunter).

burscough village c1950

Boardman's and Hunters shops, c1950.

img176 (2) - Copy - Copy 1

Burscough Village, early 1900s.

img173 - Copy - Copy 1

Burscough Village, early 1900s.

800dpi - sherringtons copy 1

H. Sherrington, Grocers Shop, early 1900s.

(More recently it was the Co-op).

Postcard 9 copy 1

Kirk, Merchant Clothier, c1910. It is now Grahams.

(Photo courtesy - John & Margaret Hesketh).

Burscough Bridge village, F Eastwood's, c1920 (1) copy 1

Burscough Village, c1920.

(Photo courtesy - Trevor Bridge).

img304 - Copy - Copy - Copy 1

Burscough Village, WW1.

T. Culshaw & Sons' Grocery store at 57 Liverpool Road (North), c1920s (3) copy 1

T. Culshaw & Sons' Grocery store at 57 Liverpool Road (North), c1920s. The gentleman pictured is believed to be known as Bill 'Oggy.'

(Photo courtesy - Joan Dawson).

Waltons shop (2) copy 1

A.R. Walton's Shop, 45/47 Liverpool Road North, 1930s. Arthur Walton (and his wife Esther) opened the shop in Burscough village in 1924. Later the shop was run by Ronnie Walton (and his wife Marjorie) and eventually closed in 1982. It is now KC Computers.

(Photo courtesy - Andrew Walton).

img298 - Copy

St. John's Church and the building formally used as a 'Private School' by Miss Mary Wilding. The shop which faces the Royal Hotel (extreme right) was Mr. Wildings saddle shop. c1900.

Mary Wilding's School for Girls, was situated in the building near to the entrance of St. John's Parish Church. The school was established in the early 1860s. In St. John's C of E School log book there is the following entry.......

'Admitted Richard Baldwin, from Miss Wilding's private school, a lad of 13 years old - only 1st standard'.

Therefore, from the above evidence it appears that boys were also admitted to this school.

Mary Wilding was the daughter of Mr. James Wilding, who occupied part of the premises facing the Royal Hotel (Hop Vine). Mr. Wilding had a saddler's shop. Previous to Mr. Wilding occupying the premises, the entire block, which consisted of a house and shop combined, was originally occupied by Mr. Thomas Seddon in 1846, who leased it from the Earl of Derby. The private school closed in c1890, but Mr. Wilding still continued with his saddle shop and also occupied the premises formally used as a school.



Burscough Village, c1910.

(Probably a Methodist Walking Day).

img305 - Copy - Copy

Burscough Village, c1910.


George Porter - Printer and Stationer, 66 Liverpool Road North, Burscough Village, 1932. Now the Village chip shop.

(Photo courtesy - Brian Porter).

img291 - Copy

'O & G Rushton Ltd., c1950.


Burscough Village, c1950.

burscough village c1950 (3)

Burscough Village, c1950.


Burscough Village, c1950.

(Photo courtesy - Jo Gilbody).

img269 - Copy

St. John's Church and the building formally used as a 'Private School' by Miss Mary Wilding. 1911.

(Photo courtesy - Jimmy and Jean Martland).