Liverpool Road (South), c1930s.
The more recent police station (next to the Stanley Institute and now closed) at Burscough was not opened until 25th March 1895, but before this date from about the 1860s a small house which was situated on the corner of Square Lane and Liverpool Road (pictured) and on the same side as Superwoods Products Ltd., was used by the police. This house was owned by Anne Welsby in 1846, but was occupied by a Mr John Gill before being used as a police station and subsequently by the Bromley family of Burscough. The house was later demolished. The reason for the police station originally being situated at Burscough Town was most probably the fact that until the 1880s the greater number of inhabitants lived there.